At stake in this election:
- 273 seats in the National Assembly (Kukhoe)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President KIM Dae-jung
- Head of Government: Prime Minister KIM Chong-p'il
- Assembly: South Korea has a unicameral National Assembly (Kukhoe) with 273 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by plurality vote to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president with the approval of the parliament.
- In the National Assembly (Kukhoe), 227 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms and 46 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.***
*** In this election, the number of seats will be lowered from 299 to 273.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: The Grand National Party (GNP)
- Leader: LEE Hoi Chang
- Seats won in this election: 133
- Seats won in last election: 139
- Party: Millennium Democratic Party (MDP)
- Leader: KIM Dae-jung
- Seats won in this election: 115
- Seats won in last election: 79
- Party: United Liberal Democrats (ULD)
- Leader: CHO Sun
- Seats won in this election: 17
- Seats won in last election: 50
Last Parliamentary election:
- -Parliamentary elections last held: April 11, 1996.
-Seats decided in the last election: 299
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 47,008,111 (2000)
- Registered Voters: 33,482,387 (2000)
· Female Population: 23,426,713 (2000)
· Is South Korea a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (25 May 1983)
· Has South Korea ratified CEDAW: Yes (27 December 1984)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 16 (following the 2000 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 17 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is South Korea a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has South Korea ratified CRPD: Yes (11 December 2008)
· Population with a disability: 7,051,216 (est.)