At stake in this election:
- 273 seats in the National Assembly (Kukhoe)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President KIM Dae-jung
- Head of Government: Prime Minister KIM Chong-p'il
- Assembly: South Korea has a unicameral National Assembly (Kukhoe) with 273 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by plurality vote to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president with the approval of the parliament.
- In the National Assembly (Kukhoe), 227 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms and 46 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.***
*** In this election, the number of seats will be lowered from 299 to 273.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: The Grand National Party (GNP)
Leader: LEE Hoi Chang
Seats won in this election: 133
Seats won in last election: 139
- Party: Millennium Democratic Party (MDP)
Leader: KIM Dae-jung
Seats won in this election: 115
Seats won in last election: 79
- Party: United Liberal Democrats (ULD)
Leader: CHO Sun
Seats won in this election: 17
Seats won in last election: 50
Last Parliamentary election:
- -Parliamentary elections last held: April 11, 1996.
-Seats decided in the last election: 299
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 46,884,800 (July 1999 est.)
- Registered Voters: 33,482,387 ( 2000 )