At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Nicaragua
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Enrique BOLANOS Geyer *
- Head of Government: President Enrique BOLANOS Geyer
- Assembly: Nicaragua has a unicameral National Assembly (Asamblea Nacional) with 92 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government. In order to avoid a run-off, a candidate must obtain 40 percent of the vote or 35 percent conditioned on the fact that s/he has at least a 5-point lead over the nearest rival.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by plurality vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Asamblea Nacional) 90 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.***
*** One seat is reserved for the previous president and one seat for the runner-up in previous presidential election. Currently, the Assembly has only 91 seats.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Daniel ORTEGA Saavedra
- Party: Sandinista National Liberation Front / Frente Sandinista de Liberación Nacional (FSLN)
- Eduardo MONTEALEGRE Rivas
- Party: Nicaraguan Liberal Alliance / Alianza Liberal Nicaragüense (ALN)
- José RIZO Castellon
- Party: Liberal Constitutionalist Party / Partido Liberal Constitucionalista (PLC)
- Edmundo JARQUÍN Calderon
- Party: Sandinista Renewal Movement / Movimiento Renovador Sandinista (MRS)
- Edén Atanacio PASTORA Gomez
- Party: Alternative for Change / Alternativa por El Cambio (AC)
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on 4 November 2001. Enrique BOLANOS Geyer (PLC) was elected president with 56.3%.of votes. He was followed by Daniel ORTEGA Saavedra (FSLN) with 42.3% and Alberto SABORIO (PCN) with 1.4%.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 5,450,217 (2006)
- Registered Voters: 3,665,141 (October 2006)
· Female Population: 2,761,153 (2006)
· Is Nicaragua a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Nicaragua ratified CEDAW: Yes (27 October 1981)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 17 (following the 2006 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 125 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Nicaragua a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Nicaragua ratified CRPD: Yes (7 December 2007)
· Population with a disability: 817,532 (est.)