At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Iran
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Ali Hoseini- KHAMENEI *
- Head of Government: President Mahmoud AHMANDINEJAD **
- Assembly: Iran has a unicameral Islamic Consultative Assembly (Majles-e-Shura-ye-Eslami) with 290 seats.
* The Leader of the Islamic Revolution is appointed for life by the Assembly of Experts.
** All Presidential candidates must be vetted and approved by the Guardian Council in order to campaign in the election.
Description of electoral system:
- The Leader of the Islamic Revolution is appointed.
- President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Islamic Consultative Assembly (Majles-e-Shura-ye-Eslami) 290 members are elected by qualified plurality vote to serve 4-year terms.***
*** District magnitudes range from one to six. Five of 290 seats are reserved to recognized religious minorities. The electoral system is based on the multiple non-transferable vote (i.e. voters have as many votes to cast as there are seats to fill in the respective constituency). The victory threshold for a candidate is 25 percent, however. If no candidate exceeds 25 percent of votes in the first round, a second-round election is held. Two-way ties are broken by lot. There are no clear provisions for breaking ties among three or more candidates.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Mohammad-Bagher GHALIBEF
- Mohammad GHARAZI
- Independent(s): Independent
- Saeed JALILI
- Moshen REZAEE
- Party: Moderation and Development Party (MDP) / Hizb-i Ettedal va Toseh
- Hassan ROUHANI
- Party: Association of Combatant Clerics (ACC) / Majma'-e rowhāniyūn-e mobārez
- Ali Akbar VELAYATI
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 77,152,445 (2013)
- Registered Voters: 50,483,192 (June 2013)
· Female Population: 38,265,516 (2013)
· Is Iran a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Iran ratified CEDAW: No
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 9 (following the 2009 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 69 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Iran a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Iran ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (23 Occtober 2009)
· Population with a disability: 11,572,866 (est.)