At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Rwanda
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Paul KAGAME
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Bernard MAKUZA
- Assembly: Rwanda has a bicameral National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale) consisting of the Senate (Sénat) with 26 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Chambre des Députés) with 53 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by plurality vote to serve a 7-year term.
- In the Senate (Sénat), 16 members are indirectly elected to serve 8-year terms and 8 members are appointed by the President to serve 8-year terms*. In the Chamber of Deputies (Chambre des Députés), 53 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms and 27 members are indirectly elected by special interest groups to serve 5-year terms.**
* Thirty percent of all indirectly elected Senators must be female. Twelve members are elected in accordance with the national administrative entities. Four members are designated by the Forum of Political organizations, and two university lecturers, of at least the rank of Associate Professor or a researcher, are elected by the academic and research staff of public universities and institutions of higher learning. The eight members appointed by the President are chosen to represent historically marginalized communities.
** Party-lists can contain no more than 80 candidates. Twenty-seven members are indirectly elected. Twenty-four seats are reserved for women, two are elected by the National Youth Council, and one is elected by the Federation of the Associations of the Disabled. Parties and candidates must also choose a symbol that will be placed on the ballot next to the name. The symbol must not be similar to one previously used and cannot be comprised of a combination of the three colors of the national flag.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Paul KAGAME
Party: Rwandese Patriotic Front (RPF)
- Prosper HIGIRO
Party: Liberal Party / Parti Libéral (PL)
- Jean Damascene NTAWUKURIRYAYO
Party: Social Democratic Party / Parti Social Démocrate (PSD)
- Alvera MUKABARAMBA
Party: The Prosperity and Concord Party
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 11,055,976 (June 2010 est.)
- Registered Voters: 5,178,492 (August 2010 )