At stake in this Referendum:
- Passage of new constitution
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Abdoulaye WADE
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Moustapha NIASSE
- Assembly: Senegal has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the National Assembly (Assemblée Nacional) with 140 seats and the Senate (Senát) with 60 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Referendum to pass a new constitution The new constitution provides for the dissolution of the Senate and a reduction of the National Assembly from 140 to 120 members. It also grants greater powers to the prime minister and creates a semi-presidential administration. Under the new constitution, the presidential term will be shortened from seven to five years.
- A majority of votes cast are required for this referendum to be enacted.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 9,987,494 (July 2000 est.)
- Registered Voters: 2,552,589 (January 2001 )