At stake in this Referendum:
- Passage of new constitution
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Abdoulaye WADE
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Moustapha NIASSE
- Assembly: Senegal has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the National Assembly (Assemblée Nacional) with 140 seats and the Senate (Senát) with 60 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Referendum to pass a new constitution The new constitution provides for the dissolution of the Senate and a reduction of the National Assembly from 140 to 120 members. It also grants greater powers to the prime minister and creates a semi-presidential administration. Under the new constitution, the presidential term will be shortened from seven to five years.
- A majority of votes cast are required for this referendum to be enacted.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 10,118,078 (2001)
- Registered Voters: 2,552,589 (January 2001)
· Female Population: 5,144,043 (2001)
· Is Senegal a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (29 July 1980)
· Has Senegal ratified CEDAW: Yes (5 February 1985)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 17 (following the 1998 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 170 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Senegal a signatory to CRPD: Yes (25 April 2007)
· Has Senegal ratified CRPD: Yes (7 September 2010)
· Population with a disability: 1,517,711 (est.)