At stake in this election:
- 65 seats in the Chamber of Deputies (Assemblée nationale)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Ismail Omar GUELLEH
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Mohamed Dileita DILEITA
- Assembly: Djibouti has a unicameral Chamber of Deputies (Assemblée nationale) with 65 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 6-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the President.
- In the Chamber of Deputies (Assemblée nationale) 65 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Union for a Presidential Majority (UMP)*
Leader: DILEITIA Mohamed Dileita
Seats won in this election: 65
Seats won in last election: N/A
- Party: Union for a Democratic Change in Government**
Leader: AHMED Dini Ahmed
Seats won in this election: 0
Seats won in last election: 0
* The UMP is a pro-government bloc which consists of the People's Rally for Congress, Front for the Restoration of Unity and Democracy, National Democratic Party, and the Social Democratic People's Party.
** The UAD is the oppositional bloc which consists of the Republican Alliance for Democracy, Movement for Democratic Renewal and Development, Djiboutian Party for Development, and the Djiboutian Union for Democracy and Justice.
Last Parliamentary election:
- Last parliamentary election was held on December 17, 1997.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 472,810 (July 2002 est.)
- Registered Voters: 178,617 ( 2003 )