At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Mongolia
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Nambaryn ENKHBAYAR *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Sanjaagiin BAYAR
- Assembly: Mongolia has a unicameral State Great Hural (Ulsyn Ikh Khural) with 76 seats.
* To be eligible to seek the presidency, one must belong to a political party with seats in parliament.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 4-year term.
- In the State Great Hural (Ulsyn Ikh Khural) 76 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Tsakhiagiin ELBEGDORJ
- Party: Motherland Democratic Coalition (MDC)
- Nambaryn ENKHBAYAR
- Party: Mongolian People's Revolutionary Party (MPRM)
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 2,669,572 (2009)
- Registered Voters: 1,493,217 (May 2009)
· Female Population: 1,344,386 (2009)
· Is Mongolia a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Mongolia ratified CEDAW: Yes (20 July 1981)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 3 (following the 2008 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 90 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (2014)
· Is Mongolia a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Mongolia ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (13 May 2009)
· Population with a disability: 400,435 (est.)