At stake in this election:
- 48 seats in the National Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Yahya A. J. J JAMMEH
- Head of Government: President Yahya A. J. J. JAMMEH
- Assembly: Gambia, The has a unicameral National Assembly with 53 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by plurality vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly, 48 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 5 members are appointed by the president to serve 5-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Alliance for Patriotic Reorientation and Construction (APRC)
Leader: Yahya A. J. J. JAMMEH
Seats won in last election: 42
- Party: National Reconciliation Party**
Leader: Hamet BAH
Seats won in last election: 0
** The Gambia Moral Congress (GMC), Gambia Party for Development and Progress (GPDP), National Alliance for Democracy and Development (NADD), People’s Democratic Organisation for Independence and Socialism (PDOIS), People’s Progressive Party (PPP) and United Democratic Party (UDP) have announced they are boycotting the election.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 1,797,860 (July 2011 est.)
- Registered Voters: 796,929 (March 2012 )