At stake in this election:
- 32 seats in the Senate (Senado)
- 178 seats in the Chamber of Deputies (Camara de Diputados)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Leonel FERNANDEZ Reyna
- Head of Government: President Leonel FERNANDEZ Reyna
- Assembly: Dominican Republic has a bicameral National Congress (Congreso Nacional) consisting of the Senate (Senado) with 32 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Camara de Diputados) with 178 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Senate (Senado) 32 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms*. In the Chamber of Deputies (Camara de Diputados) 178 members are elected through an open-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.**
* The term of office will be six years from 2010-2016. After that, it will return to four years.
** Seats are apportioned to 30 multi-member districts (29 provinces and the federal district) in proportion to population. No district magnitude may be less than 2. The term of office will be six years from 2010-2016. After that, it will return to four years.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Dominican Liberation Party / Partido de la Liberación Dominicana (PLD)*
Leader: Leonel Antonio FERNANDEZ Reyna
- Party: Social Christian Reformist Party / Partido Reformista Social Cristiano (PRSC)**
- Party: Dominican Revolutionary Party / Partido Revolucionario Dominicano (PRD)
Leader: Miguel Vargas MALDONADO
* The Dominican Liberation Party has a formal alliance with the Social Christian Reformist Party.
** The Dominican Liberation Party has a formal alliance with the Social Christian Reformist Party
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 9,650,054 (July 2009 est)
- Registered Voters: 6,116,397 (May 2010 )