At stake in this election:
- 342 seats in the National Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Pervez MUSHARRAF *
- Head of Government: Interim Prime Minister Mohammadmian SOOMRO
- Assembly: Pakistan has a bicameral Parliament (Majlis-e-Shoora) consisting of the Senate with 100 seats and the National Assembly with 342 seats.
* The Electoral College consists of members of the Senate, National Assembly and the Provincial Assemblies.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by an electoral college to serve a 5-year term.
- Interim Prime Minister is elected by parliament.
- In the Senate 100 members are elected by indirect vote to serve 6-year terms*. In the National Assembly 342 members are elected by party-list system with proportional distribution of seats to serve 5-year terms.**
* Senate members are indirectly elected by the provincial assemblies and the territories
Population and Registered Voters:
- Population: 163,096,985 (2008)
- Registered Voters: 79,934,801 (2008)
· Female Population: 79,177,990 (2008)
· Is Pakistan a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Pakistan ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (12 March 1996)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 76 (National Assembly) following the 2008 elections; 8 (Senate) following the 2006 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 147 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High (2014)
· Is Pakistan a signatory to CRPD: Yes (25 September 2008)
· Has Pakistan ratified CRPD: Yes (5 July 2011)
· Population with a disability: 24,464,547 (est.)