At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Hungary
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Laszlo SOLYOM
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Ferenc GYURCSANY
- Assembly: Hungary has a unicameral National Assembly (Orszaggyules) with 386 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by the National Assembly to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Orszaggyules), 176 members are elected in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms and 210 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Katalin SZILI
- Party: Magyar Szocialista Párt (MSZP)
- László SOLYOM
- Party: Fidesz - Magyar Polgári Szövetség
Last Presidential election:
- The last election was on June 6, 2000. Ferenc MADL was elected president by a simple majority in the third round of voting.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 10,087,065 (2005)
- Registered Voters: 386 (June 2005 386 members of parliament)
· Female Population: 5,298,885 (2005)
· Is Hungary a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (6 June 1980)
· Has Hungary ratified CEDAW: Yes (22 December 1980)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 38 (following the 2002 election)
· Human Development Index Position: 44
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Hungary a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Hungary ratified CRPD: Yes (20 July 2007)
· Population with a disability: 1,513,059 (est.)