At stake in this election:
- The office of President of France
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Jacques CHIRAC
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Lionel JOSPIN
- Assembly: France has a bicameral Parliament (Parlement) consisting of the Senate (Sénat) with 321 seats and the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 577 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Senate (Sénat) 321 members are elected by an electoral college to serve 9-year terms. In the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) 577 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms.
Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Jacques CHIRAC
Party: Rally for the Republic
- Jean-Marie Le PEN
Party: National Front
Last Presidential election:
- Presidential Elections were last held April 23 and May 7, 1995. Jacques CHIRAC received 52.69% of the vote, thereby defeating Lionel JOSPIN, who received 47.31%. The first round of this Presidential election was held on April 21, 2002.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 59,551,227
- Registered Voters: 41,193,693 ( 2002 )