At stake in this Referendum:
- The referendum will ask voters whether to approve or disapprove several amendments to the constitution, notably the removal of Article 65 of the Constitution, which deems that the president can be elected only once to serve a seven year term.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Emomali RAHMONOV
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Oqil OQILOV
- Assembly: Tajikistan has a bicameral Supreme Assembly (Majlisi Oli) consisting of the National Assembly (Majlisi Milliy) with 33 seats* and the Assembly of Representatives (Majlisi Namoyandagon) with 63 seats.
* 25 selected by local deputies
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Voters are asked to approve or disapprove several amendments to the constitution, including the alteration of an article and categorization of movements. The main provision is a proposal by the lower House to remove Article 65 of Tajikistan's constitution, which limits the president to one seven-year term.
A second provision would allow the government to stop categorizing political movements as 'religious', 'democratic' and 'atheistic'.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 6,719,567 (July 2002 est.)
- Registered Voters: 2,873,745 (2000)
· Female Population: 3,252,051 (2003)
· Is Tajikistan a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Tajikistan ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (26 October 1993)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 8 (House of Representatives); 4 (National Assembly) following the 2000 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 129 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Tajikistan a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Tajikistan ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 1,007,935 (est.)