At stake in this election:
- The 18 seats of the Legislative Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II *
- Head of Government: Premier Julianna O'CONNOR-CONNOLLY
- Assembly: Cayman Islands has a unicameral Legislative Assembly with 18 seats.
* Represented by Governor Duncan TAYLOR since 15 January 2010.
Description of electoral system:
- The Queen is hereditary head of state.
- Premier is appointed by the governor-general.
- In the Legislative Assembly 18 members are elected by block vote to serve 4-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: United Democratic Party (UDP)
Leader: McKeeva BUSH
- Party: People’s Progressive Movement (PPM)
Leader: Alden MCLAUGHLIN
- Alliance: People’s National Alliance (PNA)***
Leader: Julianna O'CONNOR-CONNOLLY
- Independent(s): Independents
*** The PNA is composed of five former members of the UDP.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 53,737 (July 2013 est.)
- Registered Voters: 18,492 (May 2013 )