At stake in this Referendum:
- Whether there should be temporary, supplementary financing of disability insurance, the VAT rates should be increased, and whether the imposition of the general popular initiative should be waived.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Hans-Rudolf MERZ *
- Head of Government: President Hans-Rudolf MERZ
- Assembly: Switzerland has a bicameral Federal Assembly (Bundesversammlung/Assemblée Fédérale/Assemblea Federale) consisting of the Council of States (Standerat/Conseil des Etats/ Consiglio degli Stati) with 46 seats* and the National Council (Nationalrat/Conseil National/Consiglio Nazionale) with 200 seats**.
* The Federal Presidency rotates among members of the Federal Council, which is the formal chief of state.
* Single-member districts correspond to half-cantons. The electoral system is first-past-the-post. Two-seat districts correspond to full cantons. The electoral system is MNTV.
** Seats are apportioned to each canton or half-canton in proportion to its population. Voters have the option of panachage. In single-member districts, this is effectively a first-past-the-post system.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- A provisision supporting a limited increase of VAT to continue financing Disability Insurance Bundesbeschluss vom 13.06.2008 über eine befristete Zusatzfinanzierung der Invalidenversicherung durch Anhebung der Mehrwertsteuersätze, geändert durch den Bundesbeschluss vom 12.06.2009 über die