At stake in this election:
- 69 seats in the House of Representatives (Il-Kamra Tad-Deputati)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President George ABELA
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Lawrence GONZI
- Assembly: Malta has a unicameral House of Representatives (Il-Kamra Tad-Deputati) with 69 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by parliament to serve a 5-year term.
- Prime Minister is appointed by the President to serve a 5-year term.
- In the House of Representatives (Il-Kamra Tad-Deputati) 69 members are elected through a single transferable vote (STV) proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.***
*** Additional seats are given to the party with the largest popular vote to ensure a legislative majority. After the last election, the Maltese House of Representatives had 69 seats.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Nationalist Party / Partit Nazzjonalista (PN)
Leader: Lawrence GONZI
Seats won in this election: 30
Seats won in last election: 35
- Party: Labour Party / Partit Laburista (PL)
Leader: Joseph MUSCAT
Seats won in this election: 39
Seats won in last election: 34
- Party: Democratic Alternative / Alternattiva Demokratika (AD)
Leader: Michael BRIGUGLIO
Seats won in this election: 0
Seats won in last election: 0
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 409,836 (July 2012 est.)
- Registered Voters: 333,072 (February 2013 )