At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Armenia
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Serzh SARGSYAN
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Tigran SARGSYAN
- Assembly: Armenia has a unicameral National Assembly (Azgayin Zhoghov) with 131 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Azgayin Zhoghov), 90 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms and 41 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.***
*** There is a five percent threshold for the party-list tier.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Serzh SARGSYAN
Party: Republican Party of Armenia (HHK) / Հայաստանի Հանրապետական Կուսակցություն, (ՀՀԿ)
- Raffi K. HOVHANNISYAN**
Party: Heritage Party / Ժառանգություն» կուսակցությունը
- Arman MELIKYAN
- Paruyr HAYRIKYAN****
Party: Union for National Self-Determination / Ազգային ինքնորոշում միավորում
- Hrant BAGRATYAN
Party: Freedom Party / Ազատություն կուսակցությունն
- Andreas GHUKASYAN*******
- Vardan SEDRAKYAN
** HOVHANNISYAN is running as a self-nominated candidate in this election.
**** HAYRIKYAN was shot on January 31, 2013 outside his home. According to the constitution he could have asked the Constitutional Court for a two-week postponement of the February 18 vote, but declined to do so and as such election date remains unchanged.
******* GHUKASYAN has been on a hunger strike since January 21, 2013 in protest of Serzh SARGSYAN's bid for re-election, demanding he be removed from candidacy.
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election (2008) was marred by violence during the post-election opposition protests. On March 1 of that year, the demonstrators were attacked by police and military forces resulting in at least 10 people killed, with a 20-day state of emergency declared by the president. Therefore the upcoming election is seen a test for the incumbent.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 2,970,495 (July 2012 est.)
- Registered Voters: 2,509,434 (February 2013 )
· Female Population: 1,544,102 (2013)
· Is Armenia a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Armenia ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (13 September 1993)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 14 (2012)
· Human Development Index Position: 85
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High
· Is Armenia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Armenia ratified CRPD: Yes (22 September 2010)
· Population with a disability: 445,574 (est.)