At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Burkina Faso
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Blaise COMPAORE
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Tertius ZONGO
- Assembly: Burkina Faso has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale) with 111 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president with the approval of the parliament.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale) 111 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.***
*** There is one nationwide, multi-member, constituency with a district magnitude of 15 and 13 multi-member constituencies with district magnitudes ranging form 2 to 10.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Blaise COMPAORE
Party: Congress for Democracy and Progress (CDP) / Congrès pour la Démocratie et le Progrès
- Hama Arba DIALLO
Party: Party for Democracy and Socialism / Parti pour la Démocratie et le Socialisme
- Bénéwendé Stanislas SANKARA
Party: Union for Rebirth / Sankarist Movement / Union pour la Renaissance / Mouvement Sankariste (Unir-PS)
- Francios KABORE
Party: Party for Democracy and Progress / Socialist Party / Parti pour la Démocratie et le Progrès / Parti Socialiste (PDP/PS)
- Pargui Emile PARE
Party: People's Movement for Socialism/Federal Party / Mouvement du peuple pour le socialisme/Parti federal (MPS/PF)
- Boukary KABORE
- Maxime KABORE
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 15,746,232 (July 2010 )
- Registered Voters: 3,239,777 (November 2010 )