At stake in this election:
- 101 seats in the Parliament (Parlament)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Vladimir VORONIN
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Zinaida GRECEANII
- Assembly: Moldova has a unicameral Parliament (Parlament) with 101 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is indirectly elected by parliament to serve a 4-year term. *
- The Prime Minister is designated by the President.
- In the Parliament (Parlament) 101 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.***
* The electoral system is two-round. 61 votes are needed (the votes of three-fifths of elected legislators). If more than two candidates run and none achieves this threshold, there is a runoff between the top two candidates within 10 days. If two or fewer candidates run and none achieves this threshold, there is a repeat election within 30 days. If no President is elected after a repeat election, the acting President dissolves Parliament, and there are new legislative elections. Parliament may be dissolved once per year.
*** There is a three percent threshold for independent candidates, five percent threshold for parties. An election is valid only if one-third of registered voters turn out.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Communist Party of the Republic of Moldova
- Party: Liberal Democratic Party of Moldova
- Party: Liberal Party
- Party: "Our Moldova" Alliance
Population and Registered Voters:
- Population: 3,565,604 (2009)
- Registered voters: 2,708,381
· Female Population: 1,852,411 (2009)
· Is Moldova a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Moldova ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (1 July 1994)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 24 (following the 2009 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 107 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Moldova a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Moldova ratified CRPD: Yes (21 September 2010)
· Population with a disability: 534,840 (est.)