At stake in this election:
- 17 seats in the House of Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II *
- Head of Government: Chief Minister Peter CARUANA
- Assembly: Gibraltar has a unicameral House of Assembly with 18 seats.
* The Queen is represented by Governor and Commander-in-Chief Sir Robert FULTON.
Description of electoral system:
- The Queen is the hereditary head of state.
- The Chief Minister is appointed by the governor-general.
- In the House of Assembly, 17 members are elected by popular vote to serve 4-year terms and 1 members are appointed for the Speaker to serve 4-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Gibraltar Social Democrats (GSD)
- Leader: Peter CARUANA
- Seats won in this election: 10
- Seats won in last election: 8
- Coalition: Gibraltar Socialist Labor Party/Gibraltar Liberal Party Coalition (GSLP/GLP)**
- Leader: Joseph John BOSSANO
- Seats won in this election: 7
- Seats won in last election: N/A
- Party: Progressive Democratic Party (PDP)
- Leader: Joseph GARCIA
- Seats won in this election: 0
- Seats won in last election: 2
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 27,884 (July 2005 est.)
- Registered Voters: N/A