At stake in this Referendum:
- The office of the President of Maldives
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Maumoon Abdul GAYOOM *
- Head of Government: President Maumoon Abdul GAYOOM
- Assembly: Maldives has a unicameral People's Council (Majlis) with 50 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Presidential Referendum The referendum asked voters whether incumbent President Maumoon Abdul GAYOOM should be granted another five-year term as president.
- The candidate nominated by the People's Council must secure a 51% approval in the national referendum in order to become President of the Maldives.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 304,000 (2003)
- Registered Voters: 148,271 (2003)
· Female Population: 150,708 (2003)
· Is Maldives a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Maldives ratified CEDAW: Yes, acession (1 July 1993)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 3 (following the 1999 parliamentary elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 104 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Maldives a signatory to CRPD: Yes (2 October 2007)
· Has Maldives ratified CRPD: Yes (5 April 2010)
· Population with a disability: 45,600 (est.)