At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Latvia
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Vaira VIKE-FREIBERGA
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Einars REPSE
- Assembly: Latvia has a unicameral Parliament (Saeima) with 100 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by parliament to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Parliament (Saeima) 100 members are elected by direct popular vote to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Vaira VIKE-FREIBERGA*
- Party: N/A
* Number of votes in favor: 88 votes
Number of votes not in favor: 6 votes
Number of invalid votes: 2 votes
Other: 4 (due to absenteeism)
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on June 17, 1999. Vaira VIKE-FREIBERGA was elected in the second round of parliamentary election, securing 53% of the votes over Valdis BIKRAVS who had 20% and Ingrida UDRE who had 9% of the members' votes.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 2,287,955 (2003)
- Registered Voters: 1,395,287 (2002)
· Female Population: 1,237,490 (2003)
· Is Latvia a signatory to CEDAW: N/A
· Has Latvia ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (14 April 1992)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 21 (following the 2002 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 46 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Latvia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (18 July 2008)
· Has Latvia ratified CRPD: Yes (1 March 2010)
· Population with a disability: 343,193 (est.)