At stake in this election:
- 40 seats in the Council of Representatives (Majlis Al-Nuwab)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: King HAMAD bin Isa al-Khalifa
- Head of Government: Prime Minister KHALIFA bin Salman al-Khalifa
- Assembly: Bahrain has a bicameral National Assembly (al-Jamiyh al-Watani) consisting of the Shura Council (Majlis Al-Shura) with 40 seats and the Council of Representatives (Majlis Al-Nuwab) with 40 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The King is hereditary N/A.
- Prime Minister is appointed by the monarch.
- In the Shura Council (Majlis Al-Shura) 40 members are appointed by the monarch. In the Council of Representatives (Majlis Al-Nuwab) 40 members are elected by absolute majority vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms.**
** A second, runoff round is held if no candidate receives and absolute majority in the first round.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: al-Wefaq National Islamic Society / Jam'iyat al-Wifaq al-Watany al-Islamiyah جمعية الوفاق الوطني الإسلامية
Leader: Ali ALI SALMAN
Seats won in last Council of Representatives election: 17
- Party: Al Menbar National Islamic Society / جمعية المنبر الوطني الإسلامي
Seats won in last Council of Representatives election: 7
- Party: Al Asalah Islamic Society / جمعية الأصالة الإسلامية Jam'iyat al-Asalah el-Islamie'a
Leader: Ghanim AL BUANEEN
Seats won in last Council of Representatives election: 8
- Independent(s): Independents
Seats won in last Council of Representatives election: 3
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 738,004 (July 2010 estimate includes 235,108 non-nationals)
- Registered Voters: 318,000 (October 2010 Voter registry not published. Number is an estimate.)