At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Kazakhstan
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Nursultan Abishevich NAZARBAYEV
- Head of Government: President Nursultan Abishevich NAZARBAYEV
- Assembly: Kazakhstan has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the Senate with 39 seats and the Majilis with 77 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by simple majority vote to serve a 7-year term.
- In the Senate, 7 members are appointed to serve 6-year terms and 32 members are elected by indirect vote to serve 6-year terms*. In the Majilis, 67 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms and 10 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.**
* In the Senate, 7 members are appointed by the president and 40 are elected by indirect vote by state assemblies, all to serve 6-year terms.
** 67 members are elected by popular vote and 10 are chosen from the winning party's lists, all to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Nursultan Abishevich NAZARBAYEV
Party: Fatherland Party / Otan
- Zharmakhan Aitbaevich TUYAKBAI**
Party: Coalition for Democratic Forces
- Alikhan Mukhamediyevich BAIMENOV
Party: Bright Path (Ak Zhol) Democratic Party of Kazakhstan
- Yerasyl Abylkasymovich ABYLKASYMOV
Party: Communist People's Party of Kazakhstan
- Mels Khamzayevich ELEUSIZOV*****
Party: Independent Candidate
** The Coalition for Democratic Forces "For a Just Kazakhstan" includes the Communist Party of Kazakhstan (KPK), the Pokolenie Pensioners' Movement, the Alga Party (part of the former Democratic Choice of Kazakhstan), and a faction that split from the Naghyz Ak Zhol Party.
***** Mels Khamzayevich ELEUSIZOV is a representative of the ecological union "Tabigat"
Last Presidential election:
- Presidential elections were last held on January 10, 1999, a year before scheduled. Nursultan A. NAZARBAYEV was reelected president with 81.7% of the vote. He was followed by Serikbolsyn ABDILDIN (12.1%), Gani KASYMOV (4.7%), and Engels GABBASOV (1.5%).
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 15,183,800 (October 2005 est.)
- Registered Voters: 8,949,199 (December 2005 )