At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Costa Rica
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Miguel Angel RODRIGUEZ
- Head of Government: President Miguel Angel RODRIGUEZ
- Assembly: Costa Rica has a unicameral Legislative Assembly (Asamblea Legislativa) with 57 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Legislative Assembly (Asamblea Legislativa) 57 members are elected by direct popular vote to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the First Round of the Presidential race:
- Abel PACHECO*
- Party: Social Christian Unity Party (PUSC)
- Rolando ARAYA*
- Party: National Liberation Party (PLN)
- Otton SOLIS
- Party: Citizens Action Party (PAC)
- Otto GUEVARA
- Party: Libertarian Movement (PML)
- Other Parties
*Advanced to the second round of the presidential race.
Last Presidential election:
- Presidential Elections were last held on February 1, 1998. Miguel Angel RODRIGUEZ won 46.96% of the vote defeating Jose Miguel CORRALES who received 44.56% of the votes.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 4,063,208 ( 2002 est)
- Registered Voters: 2,279,851 ( 2002 )
· Female Population: 2,024,735 (2002)
· Is Costa Rica a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Costa Rica ratified CEDAW: Yes (4 April 1986)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 18 (following 2002 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 69
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low
· Is Costa Rica a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Costa Rica ratified CRPD: Yes (1 October 2008)
· Population with a disability: 609,481 (est.)