At stake in this Referendum:
- The referendum will ask voters to approve Qatar's first ever written constitution.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Amir HAMAD bin Khalifa al-Thani
- Head of Government: Prime Minister ABDALLAH bin Khalifa al-Thani **
- Assembly: Qatar has a unicameral Advisory Council (Majlis al-Shura) with 35 seats.
** Prime Minister ABDULLAH is the brother of the monarch.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Referendum on approving Qatar's first written constitution
-One of the clauses in the draft constitution specifies the formation of a 45 member Advisory Council, with 30 of its members subject to direct popular vote. Members will have a four-year term and have the power to legislate laws and budgets.
-Other clauses provide for freedom of association, expression and religious practice, and to allow women to vote and hold office.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 793,341 (July 2002 est.)
- Registered Voters: 85,000 ( 2003 approx.)