At stake in this Referendum:
- The referendum will ask voters to decide whether to accept or reject the EU Treaty of Accession, which would allow Hungary to seek membership within the European Union (EU). At the same time, the voters will be asked whether to accept or reject its membership into NATO.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Janez DRNOVSEK
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Anton ROP
- Assembly: Slovenia has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the National Assembly (Drzavni Zbor) with 90 seats* and the National Council (Drzavni Svet)**.
* 40 seats are directly elected and 50 are selected on a proportional basis; Note - the numbers of directly elected and proportionally elected seats varies with each election.
** This is primarily an advisory body organized on corporatist principles with limited legislative powers; it may propose laws, ask to review any National Assembly decisions, and call national referenda;
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- EU Membership For the provision regarding the EU, voters must answer the question: "Do you agree to the proposal that the Republic of Slovenia become a member of the European Union?"
- NATO Membership For the provision regarding the NATO membership, voters are asked to answer: "Do you agree to the proposal that the Republic of Slovenia should become a member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)?"
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 1,995,733 (2003)
- Registered Voters: 1,610,234 (2002)
· Female Population: 1,022,493 (2003)
· Is Slovenia a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Slovenia ratified CEDAW: Yes, succession (6 July 1992)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 12 (following the 2000 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 25 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (2014)
· Is Slovenia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Slovenia ratified CRPD: Yes (24 April 2008)
· Population with a disability: 299,359 (est.)