At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Yemen
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Abd al-Rab Mansur AL-HADI *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Ali Muhammad MUJAWWAR
- Assembly: Yemen has a bicameral Parliament (Majlis) consisting of the Shura Council (Majlis Alshoora) with 111 seats and the House of Representatives (Majlis Annowab) with 301 seats.
* AL-HADI is acting President.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 7-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president.
- In the Shura Council (Majlis Alshoora) 111 members are appointed by the president. In the House of Representatives (Majlis Annowab) 301 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 6-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Abd Rabbuh Mansur AL-HADI
Party: General People's Congress (GPC) / المؤتمر الشعبي العام; al-Mo'tamar ash-Sha'by al-'Am)
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 24,133,492 (July 2011 est.)
- Registered Voters: 10,243,364 (February 2012 )