At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Ecuador
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Alfredo PALACIO *
- Head of Government: President Alfredo PALACIO **
- Assembly: Ecuador has a unicameral National Congress (Congreso Nacional) with 100 seats.
* The President is elected by majority vote to serve a 4-year term. Presidential elections take place under a two-round majority run-off system. In order to win in the first round, a candidate must garner at least 40% of the vote and have a 10 point advantage over the closest rival.
** The president is both the chief of state and head of government. Alfredo PALACIO became President after former President Lucio GUTIERREZ was removed from office by Congress in April 2005.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by majority vote to serve a 4-year term.
- In the National Congress (Congreso Nacional) 100 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Rafael CORREA
Alliance: Country Alliance / Alianza PAIS