At stake in this Referendum:
- Voters within the Turkish Cypriot community were asked to decide whether they wished to accept the provisions stipulated in the UN-sanctioned Annan plan, which would unify Northern Cyprus with the Greek-based Republic of Cyprus.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Rauf Raif DENKTAS
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Dr. Dervis EROGLU
- Assembly: Northern Cyprus has a unicameral Legislative Assembly with 50 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- On unification of the Turkish Republic of Cyprus with the Republic of Cyprus.
The Annan plan specified Cyprus as a confederation of two states, with separate republics handling domestic affairs and a central federal government that would manage international, legal and economic concerns.
- The referendum had to be approved by a majority of both the Greek and Turkish Cypriot voters in order for its provisions to take effect.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 208,886 ( 2001 approx.)
- Registered Voters: 143,636 ( 2004 )