At stake in this Referendum:
- Several amendments to the Consitution including: Allowance of the private ownership of land, restructuring of seats in Kyrgyzstan's bicameral parliament, change in the government's fiscal decision-making abilities, greater freedom for the media, and limiting the immunity of deputies in parliament.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Acting President Askar AKAYEV
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Kubanychbek JUMALIYEV
- Assembly: Kyrgyzstan has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the Legislative Assembly with 35 seats and the Assembly of People's Representatives with 70 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Referendum to amend the Constitution of the Kyrgyz Republic. Land Reform: The referendum introduces the private ownership of land for Kyrgyzstan's citizens.
Seat Distribution: The referendum calls for a redistribution of the seats in the bicameral parliament. The number of seats in the Legislative Assembly are to increase from 35 to 60; the number of seats in the Assembly of People's Representatives are to decrease from 70 to 45.
Budget: The referendum calls for the removal of the right of members of parliament to alter the national budget without the government's approval.
Freedom of the Press: The referendum includes a provision to increase the freedom of Kyrgyzstan's independent media.
Limitation of Immunity: The referendum calls for limiting the level of legal immunity currently awarded to deputies in the parliament. This provision is intended as an anti-corruption measure.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 4,769,000 (1998)
- Registered Voters: 2,277,592 ( 1998 )
· Female Population: 2,418,527 (1998)
· Is Kyrgyzstan a signatory to CEDAW: N/A
· Has Kyrgyzstan ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (10 February 1997)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: N/A
· Human Development Index Position: 120 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Kyrgyzstan a signatory to CRPD: Yes (21 September 2011)
· Has Kyrgyzstan ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 756,795 (est.)