At stake in this Referendum:
- The referendum will ask voters to decide on a new constitution which will institute a presidential regime in the Republic of Congo.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Denis SASSOU-NGUESSO
- Head of Government: President Denis SASSOU-NGUESSO
- Assembly: Congo (Brazzaville) has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the Senate with 66 seats and the National Assembly with 137 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 7-year term.
- In the Senate (Sénat) 66 members are indirectly elected by regional governing councils to serve 6-year terms*. In the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) 137 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Referendum on constitution -Direct election of a president to a seven-year term, renewable only once. All executive power will reside with the president.
-Establishment of a bicameral parliament with a National Assembly and Senate.
-Establishment of several requirements for presidential candidates: Congolese nationality, between 40-70 years of age, and permanent resident in Congo for a period of 24 months leading up to the registration.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 3,256,867 (2002)
- Registered Voters: 1,701,415 (2002)
· Female Population: 1,630,736 (2002)
· Is Republic of Congo a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (29 July 1980)
· Has Republic of Congo ratified CEDAW: Yes (26 July 1982)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 12 (National Assembly) (following 2002 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 136
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium
· Is Republic of Congo a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Republic of Congo ratified CRPD: Yes (2 September 2014)
· Population with a disability: 488,530 (est.)