At stake in this Referendum:
- Whether or not to build a new nuclear power plant in the country.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Rosen PLEVNELIEV
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Boyko BORISSOV
- Assembly: Bulgaria has a unicameral National Assembly (Narodno Sabranie) with 240 seats. ***
*** There are 31 multi-member districts in the list tier. There is a national threshold of 4 percent. Each MMD is also a single-member district in the nominal tier. Each voter gets two votes. Candidates in the list tier may stand in a maximum of two districts. Candidates in the nominal tier may stand in one district only.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- For the construction of a new nuclear power plant in Bulgaria.
- At least 4,345,450 Bulgarian voters must vote for the result to be binding.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 7,037,935 (July 2012 est.)
- Registered Voters: 6,950,900 (January 2013 )