At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Taiwan
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President MA Ying-jeou
- Head of Government: Premier WU Den-yih
- Assembly: Taiwan has a unicameral Legislative Yuan with 113 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 4-year term.
- The Premier is appointed by the President.
- In the Legislative Yuan, 73 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms, 34 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms and 6 members are elected by single non-transferable vote to serve 4-year terms.***
*** Each voter has two votes: one in a single-member constituency or in one of two three-member constituencies representing indigenous groups (highland or lowland); one for a party list. Proportional representation seats are allocated nationwide with a 5 percent threshold. A gender quota of one half applies to party lists.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- MA Ying-jeou
- TSAI Ing-wen
- James SOONG Chu-yu
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 22,974,347 (July 2010 )
- Registered Voters: 17,313,854 (March 2008 )