At stake in this election:
The 31 seats in the Parliament (Kalaallit Nunaanni Inatsisartut)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen of Denmark MARGRETHE II *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Kuupik KLEIST
- Assembly: Greenland has a unicameral Parliament (Kalaallit Nunaanni Inatsisartut) with 31 seats.
* Queen MARGRETHE II of Denmark is represented by High Commissioner Mikaela ENGELL.
Description of electoral system:
- The Queen of Denmark is hereditary N/A.
- Prime Minister is elected by parliament to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Parliament (Kalaallit Nunaanni Inatsisartut) 31 members are elected by open list proportional representation in multi-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms.***
*** Votes are tabulated using the d’Hondt method.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Community of the People / Inuit Ataqatigiit (IA)
Leader: Kuupik KLEIST
- Party: Forward / Siumut
Leader: Aleqa HAMMOND
- Party: Democrats / Demokraatit
Leader: Jens B. FREDERIKSEN
- Party: Solidarity / Atassut
Leader: Finn KARLSEN
- Party: Assosciation of Candidates / Kattusseqatigiit Partiiat
Leader: Anthon FREDERIKSEN
- Party: People's Party / Partii Inuit
Leader: Nikku OLSEN
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 57,695 (July 2012 est.)
- Registered Voters: 40,588 (March 2013 )