At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Palau
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Johnson TORIBIONG
- Head of Government: President Johnson TORIBIONG
- Assembly: Palau has a bicameral Parliament (Olbiil Era Kelulau) consisting of the Senate with 9 seats and the House of Delegates with 16 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Senate 13 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms*. In the House of Delegates 16 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms.
* Every voter may choose as many candidates as there are seats. All candidates compete in one, at-large district and the candidates who receive the most votes are elected. This is also known as a Block voting system.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Tommy E. REMENGESAU, Jr.
- Sandra Sumang PIERANTOZZI
- Johnson TORIBIONG
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 21,032 (July 2012 est.)
- Registered Voters: 15,305 (October 2012 )