At stake in this election:
- The 24 seats in the National Council (Conseil National)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Prince ALBERT II
- Head of Government: Minister of State Michel ROGER
- Assembly: Monaco has a unicameral National Council (Conseil National) with 24 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The Prince is hereditary head of state.
- Minister of State is appointed by the monarch.
- In the National Council (Conseil National), 16 members are elected by majority vote in multi-member constituencies and 8 members are elected through an open-list proportional representation system.***
*** - Each ballot paper includes the names of candidates of the same party/coalition list, which shall not exceed the total number of seats to be filled (i.e. 24). Each voter may either approve one of the lists as a whole, or replace some of candidates across different party/coalition lists ("panachage") by indicating the full name of the candidates of their choice. The ballot paper after the "panachage" should contain no more names than the number of seats to be filled. - First to be elected are the sixteen candidates who have obtained the most votes. In case of a tie, the eldest candidate is declared elected. The eight remaining seats are filled from the electoral lists that have polled at least five per cent of the valid votes cast, as per the proportional representation system.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- List: Union Monégasque (UM)*
Leader: Jean-François ROBILLON
- List: Horizon Monaco**
Leader: Laurent NOUVION
- List: Renaissance***
Leader: Jean-Michel RAPAIRE
* The candidate list for Union Monégasque comprises members of the Union de Monégasques and the Union Nationale pour l’Avenir de Monanco. Currently these parties hold 14 seats in the Parliament.
** The Horizon Monaco candidate list comprises members of the Rassemblement et Enjeux party; the Union pour la Principauté, and Synergie Monegasque. Currently these parties have 5 seats in the Parliament.
*** Renaissance is a list of candidates who are employees of the Société des Bans de Mers (SMB), who runs and operates many of the touristic facilities in Monaco.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 36,371 (December 2012 est.)
- Registered Voters: 6,825 (February 2013 )