At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Congo (Brazzaville)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Denis SASSOU-NGUESSO
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Isidore MVOUBA
- Assembly: Congo (Brazzaville) has a bicameral Parliament (Parlement) consisting of the Senate (Sénat) with 72 seats and the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 137 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 7-year term.
- In the Senate (Sénat) 72 members are indirectly elected by regional governing councils to serve 6-year terms*. In the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) 137 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Denis SASSOU-NGUESSO
Party: United Democratic Forces (FDU)
- Joseph Kignoumbi Kia MBOUNGOU
- Nicephore Fylla DE SAINT-EUDES
Party: Liberal Republican Party
- Mathias DZON
Party: Patriotic Union for National Renewal / (UPRN)
- Other Candidates
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 4,012,809 (July 2009 est.)
- Registered Voters: 2,070,802 (July 2009 )