At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Palau
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Tommy Esang REMENGESAU, Jr
- Head of Government: President Tommy Esang REMENGESAU, Jr
- Assembly: Palau has a bicameral Parliament (Olbiil Era Kelulau) consisting of the Senate with 13 seats and the House of Delegates with 16 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Senate 13 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms*. In the House of Delegates 16 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms.
* Every voter may choose as many candidates as there are seats. All candidates compete in one, at-large district and the candidates who receive the most votes are elected. This is also known as a Block voting system. This was the first election where this system was used. It was also the first election where the seat total was raised from 9 to 13.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Elias Camsek CHIN
- Johnson TORIBIONG
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 21,093 (July 2008 est.)
- Registered Voters: 14,289 (November 2008 )