At stake in this Referendum:
- Referendum to approve a set of constitutional reforms including a proposed change for allowing President Balladares to run for a second term.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Ernesto PEREZ BALLADARES
- Head of Government: President Ernesto PEREZ BALLADARES
- Assembly: Panama has a unicameral Legislative Assembly (Asamblea Legislativa) with 72 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Referendum on a proposed constitutional change that would allow President Ernesto Perez Balladares to seek re-election. A proposed constitutional change that would allow President Ernesto Perez Balladares to seek re-election.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 2,911,383 (1998)
- Registered Voters: 1,718,870 (August 1998)
· Female Population: 1,443,638 (1998)
· Is Panama a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (26 June 1980)
· Has Panama ratified CEDAW: Yes (29 October 1981)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 6 (following the 1994 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 60 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (2014)
· Is Panama a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Panama ratified CRPD: Yes (7 August 2007)
· Population with a disability: 436,707 (est.)