At stake in this Referendum:
- The referendum will ask voters to extend Gen. Pervez MUSHARRAF's term as President and Chief Executive of Pakistan for an additional five years.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: General Pervez MUSHARRAF
- Head of Government: Chief Executive Gen. Pervez MUSHARRAF
- Assembly: Pakistan has a bicameral Parliament (Majlis-e-Shoora) consisting of the Senate with 87 seats and the National Assembly with 217 seats**.
** 60 seats represent women; 10 seats represent minorities.
Gen. MUSHARRAF suspended the existing parliament when he assumed control of the government following a coup on October 12, 1999. Parliamentary elections to elect a new parliament are scheduled to be held in October 2002.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Referendum on term of office Chief Executive If a majority of voters approve this referendum, General MUSHARRAF will remain in office for an additional five years.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 144,271,586 (2002)
- Registered Voters: 71,358,040 (2002)
· Female Population: 69,864,270 (2002)
· Is Pakistan a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Pakistan ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (12 March 1996)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 5 (National Assembly); 1 (Senate) following the 1997 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 147 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High (2014)
· Is Pakistan a signatory to CRPD: Yes (25 September 2008)
· Has Pakistan ratified CRPD: Yes (5 July 2011)
· Population with a disability: 21,692,495 (est.)