At stake in this election:
- 500 seats in the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Joseph KABILA
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Adolphe MUZITO **
- Assembly: Democratic Republic of the Congo has a bicameral Parliament (Parlement) consisting of the Senate (Sénat) with 112 seats and the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 500 seats.
** Usually from the majority party or coalition in the National Assembly (lower house).
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by plurality vote to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the President.
- In the Senate (Sénat) 112 members are indirectly elected through an open-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms*. In the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale), 60 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 440 members are elected by open list proportional representation in multi-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.**
* Members are elected by regional legislatures. Each multi-member district corresponds to one of 26 provinces or Kinshasha. The magnitude of each district is 4, except Kinshasha, whose magnitude is 8. The electoral system is open-list PR. Former Presidents may be Senators ex officio.
** There are 109 multi-member districts in the list tier. Minimum magnitude is 2. Each voter gets two votes: one in either tier.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: People's Party for Reconstruction and Democracy (PPRD) / Parti du Peuple pour la Reconstruction et la Democratie
- Leader: Joseph KABILA
- Party: Movement for the Liberation of Congo / Mouvement pour la Liberation du Congo (MLC)
- Leader: Jean-Pierre BEMBA
- Party: Union pour la Nation Congolaise (UNC)
- Leader: Vital KAMERHE
- Party: Congolese Rally for Democracy / Rassemblement Congloais pour la Democratie
- Leader: Azaria RUBERWA
- Party: Social Movement for Renewal (MSR) / Mouvement Social pour le Renouveau
- Leader: Pierre LUMBI
- Party: Christian Democratic Party / Parti Démocrate Chrétien (PDC)
- Leader: Jose Endundo BONONGE
Population and registered voters:
- Population: 68,087,376 (2011)
- Registered voters: 32,024,640 (2011)
· Female Population: 34,179,862 (2011)
· Is Democratic Republic of the Congo a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Democratic Republic of the Congo ratified CEDAW: Yes (17 October 1986)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 44 (National Assembly) (following 2011 elections); 5 (Senate) (following 2007 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 176 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very High (2014)
· Is Democratic Republic of the Congo a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Democratic Republic of the Congo ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (30 September 2015)
· Population with a disability: 10,213,106 (est.)