At stake in this election:
- The 51 seats in the National Assembly (Nationale Assemblée)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Dési BOUTERSE (since 12 August 2010)
- Head of Government: President Dési BOUTERSE (since 12 August 2010)
- Assembly: Suriname has a unicameral National Assembly (Nationale Assemblée) with 51 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by the National Assembly to serve a 5-year term.*
- In the National Assembly (Nationale Assemblée) 51 members are elected through an open-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.**
* If no presidential or vice presidential candidate receives a two-thirds majority in the National Assembly after two votes, a simple majority is required in the United People's Assembly (Volksvergadering), which consists of 893 representatives from the national, local, and regional councils.
** Members are elected to 10 multi-member constituencies. District magnitude is determined by the constitution and not population size.