Note on the Results: The top two candidates, Ingrida ŠIMONYTĖ and Gitanas NAUSĖDA, will head to a second round on May 26.
At Stake in this Election:
- The office of President of Lithuania
- Chief of State: President Dalia GRYBAUSKAITE
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Saulius SKVERNELIS
- Assembly: Lithuania has a unicameral Parliament (Seimas) with 141 seats.
* Current President Dalia GRYBAUSKAITE is finishing her second term and is ineligible to run in this election.
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote to serve up to two five-year terms. If no candidate wins an absolute majority of the votes with at least 50% turnout, or receives votes equal to at least one third of all registered voters, the election goes to a second round between the top two candidates.
Candidates in this Election:*
- Vytenis Povilas ANDRIUKAITIS
- Arvydas JUOZAITIS
- Valentinas MAZURONIS
- Gitanas NAUSĖDA
- Mindaugas PUIDOKAS
- Naglis PUTEIKIS
- Saulius SKVERNELIS
- Ingrida ŠIMONYTĖ
- Valdemar TOMAŠEVSKI
* All candidates for president are independent. While some candidates belong to and/or are supported by a political party, the office of the president is formally non-partisan.
Population and Registered Voters:
- Population: 2,864,459 (2019 est.)
- Registered Voters: 2,486,917
- Female Population: 1,544,296 (2019 est.)
- Is Lithuania a signatory to CEDAW: No
- Has Lithuania ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (18 January 1994)
- Gender Quota: No
- Female candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 34 (following the 2012 elections)
- Human Development Index Position: 35 (2018)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (2019)
- Is Lithuania a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
- Has Lithuania ratified CRPD: Yes (18 August 2010)
- Population with a disability: 432,665 (est.)