At Stake in this Election:
- All 250 seats of the Assembly of the Republic (Assembleia da República).
- Chief of State: President Filipe NYUSI (since 2015)
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Carlos AGOSTINHO DO ROSÁRIO (since 17 January 2015)
- Assembly: Mozambique has a unicameral Assembly of the Republic (Assembleia da República) with 250 seats.
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote to serve a 5-year term.
- Presidential candidate needs majority of valid votes cast to be elected. If no candidate obtains more than 50% of vote, a run-off is held between the two strongest candidates and the candidate who obtains the most votes is elected.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the President.
- In the Assembly of the Republic (Assembleia da República), 248 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms and 2 members are elected in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.*
*** 248 seats are apportioned among 11 multi-member constituencies corresponding to the provinces in proportion to their populations. Two single-seat constituencies represent Mozambicans living abroad in Africa and "other countries," respectively. According to the electoral law (2007) these seats are "both based in Maputo." The seat allocation can be found here.
Main Candidates in this Election:
There are 40 parties and coalitions registered for the 2019 elections. The full list can be found here.
- Party: Mozambique Liberation Front / Frente de Libertação de Moçambique (Frelimo)
- Leader: Filipe NYUSI
- Seats won in the last election: 144
- Party: Mozambican National Resistance / Resistência Nacional Moçambicana (Renamo)
- Leader: Ossufo MOMADE
- Seats won in the last election: 89
- Party: Democratic Movement of Mozambique / Movimento Democrático de Moçambique (MDM)
- Leader: Mario ALBINO
- Seats won in the last election: 17
Population and Registered Voters:
- Female Population: 15,620,000
- Is Mozambique a signatory to CEDAW: No
- Has Mozambique ratified CEDAW: Yes (21 Apr 1997)
- Gender Quota: No
- Female Candidates in this election:
- Number of Female Legislators: 99 (39.6%)
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: 180
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low
- Is Mozambique a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
- Has Mozambique ratified CRPD: Yes (30 January 2012)
- Population with a disability: 3,795,467
 Constitution of Mozambique 2004, Article 148 and Law 7/2007, 130.