At Stake in this Election:
- The office of President of Panama
- Chief of State: President Juan Carlos VARELA*
- Head of Government: President Juan Carlos VARELA*
- Assembly: Panama has a unicameral National Assembly (Asamblea Nacional) with 71 seats.
* Current President Juan Carlos VARELA is ineligible for reelection.
- The President is elected by simple majority vote to serve a 5-year term. Presidents are limited to two non-consecutive 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in this Election:
- Laurentino CORTIZO
- José BLANDÓN
- Rómulo ROUX
- Saúl MÉNDEZ RODRÍGUEZ
- Party: Broad Front for Democracy / Frente Amplio por la Democracia (FAD)
- Ana Matilde GÓMEZ
- Marco AMEGLIO
- Ricardo LOMBANA
Population and Voter Registration:
- Population: 4,226,197 (2019 est.)
- Eligible Voters: 2,757,823
- Female Population: 2,109,750 (2019 est.)
- Is Panama a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (26 June 1980)
- Has Panama ratified CEDAW: Yes (29 October 1981)
- Gender Quota: Yes
- Female candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 13 (following the 2014 elections)
- Human Development Index Position: 66 (2018)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A (Very Low 2014)
- Is Panama a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
- Has Panama ratified CRPD: Yes (7 August 2007)
- Population with a disability: 584,554 (est.) Persons with disabilities registered to vote in this election 29,644 persons (15,310 women and 14,334 men).