Comoros: Referendum, 30 July 2018
At stake in this referendum:
Changes to presidential term limits
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Azali ASSOUMANI
- Head of Government: President Azali ASSOUMANI
- Assembly: Comoros has a unicameral Assembly of the Union with 33 seats.
The referendum requires a simple majority to pass.
About the referendum:
The referendum would amend Constitutional term limits. The presidency currently rotates between each of the islands in Comors, and the referendum would allow a president to serve two consecutive five-year terms in office.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 780,971 (July 2015 est.)
- Registered Voters: 301,060
- Female Population: 402,596 (July 2015 est.)
- Is Comoros a signatory to CEDAW: No
- Has Comoros ratified CEDAW: No
- Gender Quota: No
- Female candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 1
- Human Development Index Position: 159 (2014)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
- Is Comoros a signatory to CRPD: Yes (26 September 2007)
- Has Comoros ratified CRPD: No
- Population with a disability: 117,146 (July 2015 est.)