Republic of Haiti: President, 20 November 2016
At stake in this election: The office of the President of the Haiti
Note: This election was originaly scheduled for 9 October, but was postponed due to Hurricane Matthew.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Interim President Jocelerme PRIVERT (since 14 February 2016)
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Enex JEAN-CHARLES (since 25 March 2016)
- Assembly: Haiti has a bicameral Le Corps Legislatif ou Parlement (legislature) consisting of the Senat (Senate) with 30 seats and the Chambre de Deputes (Chamber of Deputies) with 118 seats.
Description of electoral system
- The president is directly elected by absolute majority popular vote in 2 rounds if needed for a 5-year term, with eligibility for a second term.
- The last presidential election was held on 25 October 2015, but the runoff election, scheduled for 24 April 2016 was postponed. The initial results were later annulled due to irregularities, necessitating this repeat election.
- Additionally, this election was originally scheduled for 9 October, but was postponed again to 20 November.
Main candidates in the election:
- Maryse NARCISSE
- Party: Fanmi Lavalas/Lavalas Family/“The Flood”
- Jovenel MOÏSE
- Party: Haitian Tèt Kale Party/Parti Haïtien Tèt Kale
- Jude CÉLESTIN
- Party: Alternative League for Haitian Progress and Empowerment/Ligue Alternative pour le Progrès et L'Emancipation Haitienne
- Jean-Charles MOÏSE
- Party: Platform Pitit Dessalines/Child of Dessalines Platform
- Edmonde Supplice BEAUZILE
- Party: Fusion of Haitian Social Democrats/Fuzyon Sosyodemokrat Ayiti
- John Henry CEANT
- Party: Renmen Ayiti (RA)
Note: A total of 27 candidates have registered and been confirmed for the election. See here for a list of all candidates.
Population and number of registered voters:
· Population: 10,110,019 (July 2015 est.)
· Registered Voters: 5,871,450 (2015)
· Female Population: 5,091,820 (July 2015 est.)
· Is Haiti a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Haiti ratified CEDAW: Yes (20 July 1981)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 0
· Human Development Index Position: 163
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium
· Is Haiti a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Haiti ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (23 July 2009)
· Population with a disability: 1,516,502 (est.)
 Parliament elected Interim President PRIVERT after former President Michel MARTELLY stepped down from office on 7 February 2016.