Note: A second round runoff election will be held on December 27, 2015.
At stake in this election:
- The office of the President of Haiti
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Michel MARTELL
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Laurent LAMOTHE
- Assembly: Haiti has a bicameral National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) consisting of the Senate with 30 seats and the Chamber of Deputies with 99 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Senate 30 members are elected by popular vote to serve 6-year terms*. In the Chamber of Deputies 99 members are elected by popular vote to serve 4-year terms.
* Normally, one-third of the Senate is elected every two years.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
There are 54 accepted candidates for the presidential race – follow this link for a complete list: https://principal.cephaiti.ht/files/Liste/Liste_des_Candidats_agrees_a_la_Presidence_2015_v3.pdf.pdf
Population and number of registered voters:
- Female Population: 5,035,655 (2014 est.)
- Is Haiti a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
- Has Haiti ratified CEDAW: Yes (20 July 1981)
- Gender Quota: Yes
- Female Candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Legislators: 4 (4%) of 99 seats in the Chamber of Deputies
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: 168
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium
- Is Haiti a signatory to CRPD: No
- Has Haiti ratified CRPD: Yes (23 July 2009)