At stake in this election:
- 400 seats in the National Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Nelson MANDELA
- Head of Government: President Nelson MANDELA
- Assembly: South Africa has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the National Council of Provinces with 90 seats and the National Assembly with 400 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by the National Assembly to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Council of Provinces 90 members are nominated by regional legislatures to serve 5-year terms*. In the National Assembly 400 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.**
* There is an additional, non-voting 10-member delegation from the South African Local Government Association (SALGA).
** The PR tier is broken into a national list and regional lists. In the regional tier there are 9 multi-member districts, each corresponding to a province, with seats allocated in proportion to population. In both tiers, the electoral system is closed list proportional representation.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: African National Congress (ANC)
- Leader: Thabo M. MBEKI
- Party: Democratic Party (DP)
- Leader: Tony LEON
- Party: Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP)
- Leader: Mangosuthu BUTHELEZI
- Party: New National Party (NNP)
- Leader: Marthinus VAN SCHALKWYK
- Party: United Democratic Movement (UDM)*****
- Leader: Bantu HOLOMISA, Roelf MEYER
- Party: African Christian Democratic Party (ACDP)
- Leader: Kenneth R. J. MESHOE
- Party: Vryheidsfront / Freedom Front (VF/FF)
- Party: United Christian Democratic Party (UCDP)
- Party: Pan Africanist Congress of Azania (PAC)
- Party: Other parties
***** UDM was formed since the last election.
Last Parliamentary election:
- Elections to the National Assembly were last held on April 26-29, 1994.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 42,923,485 (1999)
- Registered Voters: 18,177,000 (1999)
· Female Population: 21,787,409 (1999)
· Is South Africa a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (29 January 1993)
· Has South Africa ratified CEDAW: Yes (15 December 1995)
· Gender Quota: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 120 (National Assembly); 17 (National Council) following the 1999 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 116 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is South Africa a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has South Africa ratified CRPD: Yes (30 November 2007)
· Population with a disability: 6,438,522 (est.)